Religion and the political order : politics in classical and contemporary Christianity, Islam, and Judaism / edited by Jacob Neusner
- Bib ID:
- Atlanta, Ga. : Scholars Press, c1996
- xv, 313 pages ; 24 cm.
- 0788503103 (alkaline paper) (cloth)
- South Florida-Rochester-Saint Louis studies on religion and the social order ; v. 15.
- Full contents:
- 1. Religion and Politics after The Secular City / Harvey Cox
- 2. The Risks of Religious Resurgence / Laurie Patton
- 3. Religion and Modernization: Secularization or Sacralization / Danny Jorgensen
- 4. Religion, Politics, and the Social Order: The Creation of the History of Ancient Israel / Sara Mandell
- 5. Reading Archaeological and Literary Evidence: A Response to Sara Mandell / James S. Strange
- 6. Why and How Religion Speaks through Politics: The Case of Classical Judaism / Jacob Neusner
- 7. The Politics of the Mishnah in Its Contemporary Setting / Alan J. Avery-Peck
- 8. Mysticism and Politics in the State of Israel / Ithamar Gruenwald
- 9. Religious Resources for Political Culture: The Case of Judaism / William S. Green and Gary G. Porton
- 10. Inclusion and Noninclusion: The Practice of the Kingdom in Formative Christianity / Bruce D. Chilton
- 11. The Development of Christian Political Theory / John Morreall.
- 12. Catholicism and Politics / Andrew M. Greeley
- 13. A Reflection on the Catholic Political and Social Ethic / Allyson M. Schneider
- 14. Greeley's Insights / William Shea
- 15. The State and the Sacred in Classical Islamic Thought / Tamara Sonn
- 16. True and False Perceptions of the Islamic State / Nahla A. Al-Arian
- 17. Islam and the State in Modern Islamic Political Thought / John Esposito
- 18. Religion and Politics: Finding Normative Factors in Current Discussions / Walter Capps
- 19. Religious Pluralism, Toleration, and Liberal Democracy: Past, Present, and Future / Stephen Turner
- 20. Judaism, Christianity, Islam: Religion, Ethics, and Politics in the (Post)modern World / Darrell Fasching.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Neusner, Jacob, 1932-
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Sacred and secular : religion and politics worldwide / Pippa Norris, Ronald Inglehart
- Religion and political development, an analytic study
- Religion and politics / edited by Myron J. Aronoff
- Contemporary democracy and the sacred : rights, religion and ideology / Jon Wittrock (Stockholm University, Sweden)
- Politics and the sacred / Harald Wydra