Registers of Melanesian indentured labourers, 1887-1913 [microform]
- Bib ID:
- Manuscript and Microform
- Deutches Handel und Plantagen Gesselschaft
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference.
- 1microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
- PMB (Australian National University. Pacific Manuscripts Bureau) ; 1210.
The copra trade was the core business of the Deutches Handel und Plantagen Gesselschaft. The company had monopoly recruiting rights enabling it to draw labour for its plantations in Samoa from the eastern New Guinea islands and the northern Solomon Islands. The labour registers give the number and name of the labourer, his or her village and district. The registers also note the plantation on which the labourer worked and transfers to employment elsewhere. If applicable, the date and cause of death is noted. There was a high mortality. Otherwise the register notes the date of return. There is also a column for further notes. Arbeiter Register, Nos.6367-7832, 25 May 1887-24 Feb 1891 [16 Mar 1891]; Arbeiter Register, Nos.7833-9409, 16 Mar 1891-Jan 1897; Arbeiter Register, Nos.9406-10128, Nos.1-1237, Jan 1897-Jan 1906; Arbeiter Register, Nos.1238-3187, Jan 1906-Sep 1913.
- Archives room at the Nelson Memorial Library, Apia, Samoa.
- Microfilm. Canberra, A.C.T. : Produced for the Pacific Manuscripts Bureau, Australian National University. 1 microfilm reel.
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Australian National University. Pacific Manuscripts Bureau
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- O le mavaega i le tai / [Lafai-Sauoaiga]
- Disaster and development : vulnerability and rural livelihoods in post-tsunami Samoa / Eleanor Parkes
- Overview of humanitarian and short term needs following the Samoa "earthquake and tsunami" : final / UNOCHA on behalf of the Pacific Humanitarian Team and the UN Resident Coordinator
- Early recovery framework : submitted to the Prime Minister of Samoa : 29 September 2009 earthquake and tsunami
- Documents and correspondence from Samoa, 1874-1919 [manuscript]