[Captain James Cook, Sir Joseph Banks, Lord Sandwich, Dr Daniel Solander and Dr John Hawkesworth] [picture] / John Hamilton Mortimer
- Bib ID:
- Mortimer, John Hamilton, 1740-1779
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- 1 painting : oil on canvas ; 120 x 166 cm.
Previously attributed to Johann Zoffany, 1733-1810; a plaque on reverse of frame gives the date 1771.
Thought to be from left to right: Dr Daniel Solander, Sir Joseph Banks, Captain James Cook, Dr John Hawkesworth, Lord Sandwich. Further information available at: https://www.nla.gov.au/pictures/john-hamilton-mortimer-and-captain-cook
- Title devised by cataloguer based on published source.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-135646842
- Source of Acquisition:
- Bequest of Dame Merlyn Myer, 1982.
- Cook, James, 1728-1779 -- Portraits
- Banks, Joseph, Sir, 1743-1820 -- Portraits
- Sandwich, John Montagu, Earl of, 1718-1792 -- Portraits
- Solander, Daniel Charles, 1733-1782 -- Portraits
- Hawkesworth, John, 1715?-1773 -- Portraits
- Australia -- Discovery and exploration -- Pictorial works
- Picture -- NPG exhibition 1996
- Exhibited: Art Gallery of Western Australia: Treasure ships: Art in the age of spices, 09 October 2015- 31 January 2016.
- Exhibited: Art Gallery of South Australia: Treasure ships: Art in the age of spices, 13 June - 30 August 2015.
- Exhibited: "Treasures Gallery", National Library of Australia, 7 October 2011 - 15 December 2012.
- Exhibited:'Cook & Omai: The Cult of the South Seas', NLA 2001
- Exhibited: 'Botanical Venus, Daniel Solander in the Pacific', Post Master Gallery & National Philatelic Archives, 2001
- Exhibited: "Cook in the Pacific", National Museum of Australia, 6 June 2006 - 25 September 2006.
- Exhibited: James Cook and the Exploration of the Pacific, Touring Exhibition 2009-2011, Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle der Bundesrepublik Deutschland GmbH, Bonn, Germany 28 August 2009-28 February 2010, Kunsthistorisches Museum für Völkerkunde (Museum of Ethnology), Vienna, Austria 10 May-13 September 2010, Historisches Museum, Bern, Switzerland 7 October 2010-13 February 2011.
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Creator Date of Death is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- [Bust of Dr John Birrell, ISO] [realia] / E. Reynolds
- Dr John Oakeshott and Dr John Curran examine some of the CSIRO's insect specimens [picture] / Gary Schafer
- Dr Cecil John Davenport painting, approximately 1930 / J. Quinn
- Dr John Dee [picture] / Harding delt.; Scheneker sculpt
- John Dawkins, Minister for Trade, with Dr. J. Scott, Chairman of the Interim Trade Commission, 1985 [picture]