Thomas's Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode-Island, Newhampshire & Vermont almanack, with an ephemeris, for the year of our Lord 1789: [electronic resource] : ... Fitted to the latitude and longitude of the town of Boston, but will serve without essential variation for the adjacent states
- Bib ID:
- Online Version:
- Printed at Worcester [Mass.], : by Isaiah Thomas. (Price 40 s. per gross. 4 s. per dozen. Six pence single.), 
-  p. : ill. ; 19 cm. (12mo)
- Early American imprints. Series I, Evans (1639-1800); no. 21115.
- Two states of gathering G noted, G3 verso and G4 recto having been reset. In what is probably the first state, G3 verso has "Excise duties in Massachusetts. Extracts." In the second state, this title reads "Excise duties in Massachusetts. Extracts from the laws in force at the publication of this almanack."
- Though the Thomas almanacs through 1795 were ascribed by Evans to Ezra Gleason, most can be identified with varying degrees of certainty to other identifiable calculators. The present one, like those for 1786-1788, was calculated by Samuel Stearns. A letter from Stearns to Thomas, dated March 3, 1788, in the manuscript collections of the American Antiquarian Society, speaks of preparing copy for Thomas's 1789 almanac.
- In comparison between this almanac and Stearns' The universal calendar and the North-American almanack for 1789 (Boston), the only identical calculations on the calendar pages are those in the ephemeris and those for the rising, setting, and phases of the moon, and the rising, setting, and southing of the 7 stars or Pleiades. This exemplifies that appearance of a slight differential in calculations often noted when the same author is know to have prepared almanacs for different publishers. Though both the above almanacs were allegedly calculated for the meridian of Boston, the title of Thomas's suggests that it was intended to be applicable over all of New England, which may explain the differential in this instance.
- Advertised in the Massachusetts spy, Nov. 6, 1788.
- Parentheses substituted for square brackets in imprint transcription.
- Microform version available in the Readex Early American Imprints series.
- Cited In:
- Evans 21115
- Drake, M. Almanacs, 3415
- Electronic text and image data. [Chester, Vt. : Readex, a division of Newsbank, Inc., 2002-2004. Includes files in TIFF, GIF and PDF formats with inclusion of keyword searchable text. (Early American imprints. Series I, Evans (1639-1800); no. 21115). Mode of access : World Wide Web.
- United States Massachusetts Worcester.
- Other authors/contributors:
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Creator Date of Death is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
- A catalogue of the names of the knights for the counties, citizens, burgesses for the boroughes, and barons for the ports for the House of Commons, for this Parliament. [microform] Begun at Westminster the 3. of November, 1640
- Report of the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment for the
- Report of the Church Society for the Diocese of Sydney : for the year
- A catalogue of the names of the knights for the counties, citizens, burgesses for the boroughes, and barons for the ports for the House of Commons, [microform] for this Parliament. Begun at Westminster the 13. of Aprill, 1640
- Handbook for Queensland : prepared for the members of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science, for the Brisbane meeting, May - June, 1930