Challenging citizenship : group membership and cultural identity in a global age / edited by Sor-hoon Tan
- Bib ID:
- Online Version:
- Table of contents
- Aldershot, Hants, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2005
- x, 200 p. ; 24 cm.
"Over the last 10 years citizenship has become an area of inter-disciplinary research and teaching in its own right. This book highlights that globalization poses new challenges for established understandings and practices of citizenship and that intellectual work is required to fashion models of citizenship better suited to present problems and realities. In particular, this volume emphasizes the pluralization of identities and communities within states brought about by such forces as mass immigration, global communication, substrate regionalism and more generally the fragmentation of modern notions of nation. The challenge is to devise forms of democracy and political identity adequate to these 'globalized' conditions. Ideally suited to anyone interested in globalization, cultural diversity and citizenship."--BOOK JACKET.
- Full contents:
- 1. Introduction : globalization and citizenship / Sor-hoon Tan
- 2. Migration and cultural diversity : implications for national and global citizenship / April Carter
- 3. A refugee and a citizen of the world / C. L. Ten
- 4. Justice for migrant workers? Foreign domestic workers in Hong Kong and Singapore / Daniel A. Bell
- 5. The globalization of citizenship / Barry Hindess
- 6. Active citizens or an inert people? / James E. Tiles
- 7. Socratic citizenship : the limits of deliberative democracy / Catherine Audard
- 8. Liberalism, identity, minority rights / Alan Montefiore
- 9. Models of multicultural citizenship : comparing Asia and the west / Will Kymlicka
- 10. Montaigne's cannibals and multiculturalism / Cecilia Wee
- 11. Citizenship and cultural equality / Baogang He
- 12. On the confucian idea of citizenship / A. T. Nuyen.
- 13. Exemplary world citizens as civilized local communicators : politics and culture in the global aspirations of confucianism / Sor-hoon Tan
- 14. Conclusion : meeting challenges / Sor-hoon Tan.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Tan, Sor-hoon, 1965-
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Global shaping and its alternatives / edited by Yildiz Atasoy, William K. Carroll
- The virtuous vice : globalization / edited by Siamack Shojai and Robert Christopherson
- Global ordering : institutions and autonomy in a changing world / edited by Louis W. Pauly and William D. Coleman
- Globalisation, democracy and terrorism / Eric Hobsbawm
- Globalization and its enemies / Daniel Cohen ; translated by Jessica B. Baker