Afghanistan : mullah, Marx, and mujahid / Ralph H. Magnus, Eden Naby
- Bib ID:
- Magnus, Ralph H
- Rev. ed.
- Boulder, Colo. ; Oxford : Westview Press, 2002
- xiii, 289 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
- Full contents:
- Foreword / Dan Rather
- 1. Introduction. Features of Physical Geography. Geographic Zones. Agriculture and Irrigation. Demography. Ethnic Groups, Languages, and Structures. Lifestyles. Worldview
- 2. Afghan History to 1973. The Afghan Empire. The Muhammadzai Dynasty and the Great Game (1826-1919). The Period of the Independent Afghan Monarchy. Socioeconomic Developments of the Liberal Democratic Period. The Legacy of Imperialism. The Legacy of the Cold War
- 3. Geopolitics Then and Now. Prosperity and Diversity Along the Silk Road. A Dangerous Neighborhood. The Geopolitical Background of the Soviet Invasion. The Politics of Physical Geography. The Geopolitics of the Jihad. The Geopolitics of the Islamic State
- 4. Traditional Afghan Islam. Islamic Institutions and the State. The Belief Systems and Their Sociopolitical Implications. Loyalties and Identities. Sufi Orders and Other Forms of Confrereship. The Future of Traditional Islam
- 5. Marx Among the Afghans.
- The Origins of Reformists and Marxists. The Soviet Union and Afghan Marxists. The Liberal Constitutional Period (1963-1973). Sharing Power: The First Afghan Republic. Marxists with Illusions: The Taraki-Amin Years (1978-1979). Marxists Disillusioned: Karmal and Najibullah (1979-1989)
- 6. Holy Warriors, Mujahidin, and Fighting for Islam. The Mujahidin Position and Kabul. The Three-Branched Afghan Mujahidin
- 7. Beyond War: Afghanistan in Post-Cold War Central Asia. Legitimacy. Islamic Politics. Regional Cooperation. The Taliban Movement: Internal and International Aspects. The Future for Peace
- App. B. Modern Period Rulers of Afghanistan
- App. C. Chronology of Afghan and Regional Events, 1747-1997
- App. D. Glossary of Afghan Terms.
- First published 1998.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 264-279) and index.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Naby, Eden
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Afghanistan [electronic resource] : a country study / Federal Research Division, Library of Congress ; edited by Peter R. Blood
- Ozaki Mitsuo Afuganisutan shiryōshū : genchi chōsa no kiroku 1935--1938-nen / Suzkuki Hitoshi hen
- Sovremennyi Afganistan / [red. Kollegiia N. A. Dvoriankov i dr.]
- The immediate solution of Afghan crisis / Azmatullah Khan Wazir