Francis McKenner interviewed by Rob Willis in the Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- McKenner, Francis, 1912-2006, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 1 sound file (ca. 66 min.)
- Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
Folkloric recording. Francis McKenner, born 1912 in Echuca, Vic. talks about her family background; her siblings; the family house; her father's jobs; wash day and the use of the 'blue bag'; ironing of clothes; the bathing routine; games played, 2 rope skipping; home remedies, using native plants; her memories of Echuca East; the houses in the area; 'Shinbone Alley' area of the bush where she lived; the buildings in 'Shinbone Alley'; access to water; flooding in the area, father using his boats; 'Chinaman's Bend', getting vegetables from a Chinese gardener; fishing, the types of fish caught; surviving the Depression; movement of huts as people moved around; recalls some of the names of the people who lived there; the Aboriginals in the area; her schooling; the divisions in East Echuca, Moama and Echuca.
McKenner discusses football teams; rivalry between the divisions; more on schooling and discipline; the class system within the town; leaving school; jobs; occupations, mailman, milkman, baker, grocer delivering goods; 'underdogs' in East Echuca; types of dances; band instruments; Sunday night concerts in the reserve; concert bands; entertainment in the area, balls, sit down suppers; description of the formation of the sets in the old time dances; churches, religious influence in the employment of workers by certain businesses; the river boats, identifying the boats by their whistles; floods; cranes loading the wool; cargo carried; post service; decline in the river trade; bullock teams; tourism.
- Recorded with Olya Willis.
- Recorded on September 28, 2005 at Echuca, Vic.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Also Titled:
- Frances Mabel McKenner interviewed by Rob Willis in the Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection
- Related Records:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2075 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Daisy Sutton interviewed by Rob Willis in the Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection [sound recording]
- Shirley Symons interviewed by Rob Willis in the Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection [sound recording]
- Evelyn Russell interviewed by Rob Willis in the Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection [sound recording]
- Don Norris interviewed by Rob Willis in the Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection [sound recording]
- Don Fraser interviewed by Rob Willis in the Rob and Olya Willis folklore collection [sound recording]