E.W.P. Chinnery map collection
- Bib ID:
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Scales differ (E 147⁰00'/S 6⁰00').
- 142 maps : some colour ; 129.8 x 76.5 cm or smaller
- E.W.P. Chinnery map collection.
Ernest William Pearson Chinnery was born in Waterloo, Victoria, and educated at state schools. In 1909 he joined the public service in Papua as a clerk and in the following year he was appointed a patrol officer. He worked first in the Kumusi division and later patrolled in new country in the central division, where he located the source of the Waria River. In 1917 he joined the Australian Flying Corps. He was demobilised in England in 1919 and became a research student under the anthropologist A.C. Haddon at the University of Cambridge. He had already published anthropological papers and lectured to the Royal Geographical Society. In 1921 Chinnery returned to New Guinea as labour adviser to New Guinea Copper Mines Ltd. In 1924 he was appointed government anthropologist of the Mandated Territory of New Guinea. He became the first Director of District Services and Native Affairs in 1932 and from Rabaul he directed the extension of control into the central highland valleys. In 1938 he was seconded to head a new Department of Native Affairs in the Northern Territory, where he remained until 1946. He hoped to return to Papua New Guinea as an anthropologist, but found no support. He was an Australian adviser at the Trusteeship Council in 1947 and served on two United Nations missions to Africa. He lived in retirement in Melbourne.
- Maps of Papua New Guinea and adjacent islands. Also includes maps of Germany.
- Title supplied by cataloguer.
- List of individual maps available.
- Some maps in this collection are individually catalogued.
- Maps 89 and 91 have been redistributed to series titled: Vicinity of Buna, New Guinea; Maps 63-85, 87, and 112-115 have been redistributed to Base compilation, New Guinea and Papua; Maps 93 and 94 have been redistributed to Buna and vicinity, New Guinea; Maps 102-104 have been redistributed to series titled: Vicinity of Wau Bulolo and Watut River valleys, New Guinea; Maps 116, 119-120, 122 and 124 have been redistributed to German nautical charts of German New Guinea; Maps 137-138 have been redistributed to Übersicht der seit dem Jahre 1877 von der Königlich Preussischen Landesaufnahme im Massstab 1 25000 der natürlichen Länge veröffentlichten Mesztischblätter;
- Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-229895081
- Related Material:
- Related material: Papers of Ernest William Pearson Chinnery; Located at: National Library of Australia Manuscript collection MS 766 --
- Maps held in: Papers of Ernest William Pearson Chinnery; Located at; National Library of Australia Manuscript collection MS 766, Series 3 Box 7 Files 19 and 20; Series 8 Box 18 File 13; Series 20 Box 44 Files 32 and 333; Series 20 Box 45 File 38 --
- Related material: E.W.P. Chinnery collection of photographs of Papua New Guinea, 1912 to 1937; Located at; National Library of Australia Pictures collection #PIC/8394.
- Chinnery, E. W. Pearson (Ernest William Pearson), 1887-1972 -- Map collections
- Ethnology -- Papua New Guinea -- Maps
- Indigenous peoples -- Papua New Guinea -- Maps
- Papuans -- Papua New Guinea -- Maps
- Geology -- Papua New Guinea -- Maps
- Mines and mineral resources -- Papua New Guinea -- Maps
- Food crops -- Papua New Guinea -- Maps
- Papuans -- Migrations -- Maps
- Papua New Guinea -- Administrative and political divisions -- Maps
- Papua New Guinea -- Maps
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Chinnery, E. W. Pearson (Ernest William Pearson), 1887-1972
- Related Records:
This is a collection.
This collection contains 76 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2042 [Creator Date of Death + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Papua New Guinea [cartographic material] / created, designed and illustrated by Nina Sanadze
- Papua New Guinea
- Papua New Guinea / Universal Business Directories
- Papua New Guinea [cartographic material] / cartography and printing by the National Mapping Bureau
- Papua and New Guinea / Geophysical Branch