Canonical implications of the response of the Catholic Church in Australia to child sexual abuse. [microform]
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Delaney, Elizabeth M
- 350 p.
Since the early 1980s the Church and society have been shocked and scandalised by incidents of child sexual abuse perpetrated by clerics and religious. During the past twenty years knowledge of sexual abuse has grown. With increased knowledge has come increased understanding of factors that affect offenders, that impact on the healing of victims. Church leaders in the church have not always responded well, to victims, to offenders and to communities. The Church has grown in understanding of how to respond to all who are affected by sexual abuse of children. Church and society continue to learn. In 1996, the Australian Catholic Bishops' Conference and the Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes published Towards Healing, Principles and Procedures in Responding to Complaints of Sexual Abuse against Personnel of the Catholic Church in Australia.
The following year, they published Integrity in Ministry: A Document of Ethical Standards for Catholic Clergy and Religious in Australia. The former document presents the principles and procedures for responding to complaints of misconduct and sexual abuse. The latter document presents standards for life and ministry for clergy and religious. The Catholic Church in Australia responded to sexual abuse within the context of the Australian society, as did the church in each country. In presenting an overview of the response to child sexual abuse of both society and church in several countries besides Australia, the possibility exists not only for identifying similarities and differences, but also for understanding the reasons behind them. In the 1980s knowledge of the complexities of sexual abuse and its impact on victims was very limited. Likewise familiarity with the church's penal law and related procedures was limited because it had not been used to any great extent.
Increased and new usage of both penal law and procedural law identified areas that caused problems. At the heart of the church's response to sexual abuse is the goal of responding to the dignity of the human person. Hopefully, identifying differences and problem areas will result in increased understanding and the upholding of the dignity of all people affected by sexual abuse.
- Source: Dissertation Abstracts International, Volume: 66-05, Section: A, page: 1932.
- Thesis (Ph.D.)--University of Ottawa (Canada), 2004.
- Microfiche. Ann Arbor, Mich. : University Microfilms International.
- Other authors/contributors:
- University of Ottawa (Canada)
Contact us for information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- The ritualistic conspiracy [electronic resource] : comprising lists of "Priests" who desire the appointment of licensed confessors for the Church of England : of "Priests associate" of "The Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament" : of the clerical members of "The English Church Union" : of the members of "The Society of the Holy Cross." : of the members of the "English Abbey Restoration Trust" : and also the of the clerical members of the council of the "Society for the maintainance of the faith."
- The volume of the Bokes called hagiographa. [electronic resource] : The third Booke of Esdras. The fourth boke of Esdras. The Booke of Tobiah. The Boke of Judith. The reste of the boke of Esther. The Boke of Wysedom. Ecclesiasticus. Baruch, the Prophete. The songe of the three Chyldren in the Ouen. The storye of Susanna. The storye of Bell, and of the Dragon. The prayer of Manasseh. The first boke of the Machabees. The second boke of the Machabees
- Two declarations of the Lords and Commons of the Parliament of England [electronic resource] : the first to the Convention of the Estates of Scotland : the second to the Genral Assembly of the Kirke of Scotland : together with the severall answers of the Convention of the Estates of Scotland and of the Generall Assembly of the Kirke of Scotland, to the Parliament of England
- Two declarations of the Lords and Commons of the Parliament of England [electronic resource] : the first, to the Convention of the Estates of Scotland; the second, to the Generall Assembly of the Kirke of Scotland : together with the severall answers of the Convention of the Estates of Scotland, and of the Generall Assembly of the Kirke of Scotland, to the Parliament of England
- The books of the chronicles of the kings of the Hebrews : the wars of gods