Robert Tonkinson interviewed by Nikki Henningham in the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia collection [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Tonkinson, Robert, 1938-, interviewee
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 2 digital audio tapes (ca. 130 min.)
- Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia collection.
Robert Tonkinson, born 1938 in Perth, speaks about his early life; education; early teaching career in southwest Australia; first encounter with indigenous people through missions girls attending school; development of his interest in anthropology; United States influences including the Chicago School, Robert Merton and Conflict Theory; interest in the psychological aspects of anthropology; his Masters degree; going to Jigalong, Western Australia; the book The Jigalong Mob; work history in the Pacific, United States, and Canada; American anthropological thought; working on Melanesian topics based at the Australian National University (ANU); moving to the University of Western Australia (UWA) in the 1980s; difficulties of attracting students to Western Australia; his approach to teaching; changes in research methods and culture; changes in anthropology; Aboriginal genealogies; concerns about current state of research and the general reputation of academics in Australia; the fragmentation of knowledge.
Robert Tonkinson, born 1938 in Perth, is Honorary Research Fellow in Social Anthropology at the University of Western Australia and editor of Anthropological forum. His research interest is in Aboriginal Australia and insular Melanesia.
- Recorded on March 2, 2006 at Nedlands, W.A.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-222040146
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary (2 p.) and corrected transcript (typescript, 59 leaves)
- Other authors/contributors:
- Henningham, Nicola, 1960-, interviewer
- Related Records:
This belongs to the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia collection.
This collection contains 24 records.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2076 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Network scheduling and control systems (CPM/PERT) / [edited by] Harold L. Wattel
- Yindunixiya yu yan / Baheluding bian ; Zhang Hua yi
- Notulen musjawarah kerdja ke IV B.P.U.I.K. di Bandung, dari tgl. 11 s/d 14 Maret 1964
- The great jungle experiences 1977 [manuscript]
- Staff matters : setting the scene : a practical guide to ongoing support for management and staff of Out of School Hours Services / [author, Cassandra McBurnie ; additional material and editing by Rita Baira]