Papers of Manning Clark, 1907-1992 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Clark, Manning, 1915-1991
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item. MS 7550 copy
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part requires permission for research. Not for loan.
- 30.30 m. (198 boxes) + 1 fol. box.
MS 7550 comprises correspondence, diaries, notebooks, personal documents, newspaper cuttings, photographs, printed ephemera, research materials and manuscripts and typescripts of Clark's books, articles, reviews, lectures, addresses and speeches. There are some papers relating to Clark's teachings at the Australian National University, but the bulk of the collection comprises private papers, providing a detailed record of his ideas and thoughts, his friendships, his travels, his participation in public debates and discussions and the whole range of his writings.
Series 16-18, occupying 102 boxes, relate to A history of Australia, including the original manuscripts and typescripts, research materials, reviews and correspondence with publishers, friends and readers. The correspondence mostly dates from 1950 to 1991 and is very extensive. The correspondents include Kathleen Fitzpatrick, Geoffrey Fairbairn, James McAuley, R.M. Crawford, John La Nauze, Sir Keith Hancock, Geoffrey Dutton, Russel Ward, John Ritchie, Don Baker, G.P. Shaw, Bruce Grant, Judah Waten, Patrick White, Ken Inglis, John Ritchie, Lyndall Ryan, Suzanne Welborn, Humphrey McQueen, Pat Dobrez and Helen Garner (196 boxes, 1 fol. box).
The Acc03.178 instalment comprises further papers of Manning Clark (2 boxes).
Historian. Charles Manning Hope Clark was Professor of History at Canberra University College, 1949-1960, and the Australian National University, 1960-1975. Clark was the author of Select documents in Australian history (2 v., 1950-1955), A history of Australia (6 v., 1962-1987) and other works.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 7550, MS Acc03.178.
- Associated materials: Papers of Dymphna Clark, circa 1930-2000 MS 9873, MS Acc08.045, MS Acc08.051.
- MS 7550 copy Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-298526742
- Related Material:
- Manning Clark interviewed by Hazel de Berg in the Hazel de Berg collection; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 1/253-254.
- Manning Clark interviewed by Neville Meaney for the Neville Meaney collection; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 2053/13.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Donated through the Australian Government's Taxation Incentives for the Arts Scheme by Manning Clark.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available online.
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of Manning Clark's copyright material requires permission for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.