Papers of Roger Smalley, 1956-2009 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Smalley, Roger, 1943-2015
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item. MS Acc08.043 copy
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 17.0 m. (21 boxes) + 25 fol. boxes + 4 audio boxes + 1 map folio.
MS Acc07.101 comprises scrapbooks chronologically covering Roger Smalley's musical career over the period 1956-1996. The scrapbooks were assembled by Smalley's father, John Smalley, and consist of news clippings, concert programmes, and related ephemera. There are also a small number of loose concert programmes from the early 1980s, mostly for the BBC Promenade Concerts (2 boxes).
The Acc08.043 instalment includes scores, composing notebooks, juvenilia, audio reels, press cuttings, reviews and programs (10 boxes, 10 fol. boxes, 4 audio boxes).
The Acc08.089 instalment largely comprises music scores of compositions by Smalley. Other papers include diaries, correspondence, awards, a notebook and press cuttings (2 boxes, 4 fol. boxes).
The Acc10.073 instalment comprises musical sketches, original scores and annotated publisher proofs; sets of annotated performance parts; notebooks and journals; correspondence; news clippings, program notes, concert programs, and other ephemera relating to Smalley; catalogues, lists, biographies, performances and awards; copies of Tempo magazine containing articles on Smalley; annotated drafts and source materials for book "Poles apart"; notes and writings by Smalley; teaching materials; business files relating to arts organisations, commissions, fellowships, festivals, music competitions, tours, universities, including West Australian Symphony Orchestra, University of Western Australia, the Australia Council and the Composers' Action Committee (7 boxes, 11 fol. boxes, 1 map folio).
Composer, pianist and conductor. Roger Smalley was born in Manchester, England in 1943 and resided in Australia from the mid-1970s. Smalley was emeritus professor and honorary senior research fellow at the University of Western Australia and honorary research associate at the New South Wales State Conservatorium of Music. He was a recipient of the Centenary Medal and, in 2004, was named a Western Australian Living Legend. In 2011, Smalley was created a Member of the Order of Australia (AM). He passed away in Sydney in August 2015.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS Acc07.101, MS Acc08.043, MS Acc08.089, MS Acc10.073.
- MS Acc08.043 copy Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-290940763
- Related Material:
- Roger Smalley interviewed by Judith Crispin; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 4921.
- Roger Smalley interviewed by Robyn Holmes; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 6206.
- Smalley, Roger, 1943-2015 -- Archives
- University of Western Australia. School of Music -- Employees -- Archives
- Pianists -- Australia -- Archives
- Composers -- Australia -- Archives
- Conductors (Music) -- Australia -- Archives
- Music teachers -- Australia -- Archives
- Music -- Australia -- 20th century
- Piano music
- Concert programs
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- BBC Henry Wood Promenade Concerts
- Copying of Roger Smalley's copyright material permitted for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.