Gaetano Lui Junior interviewed by Aggie Hankin in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Lui, Gaetano, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 2007 Sept. 11
- 1 sound file (ca. 21 min.)
- Torres Strait songs project.
Gaetano Lui Jr., born on Thursday Island and raised on Yam-Iawa Island speaks about his schooling; working on the railway; his political career; being founding Chairperson of Torres Strait Regional Authority (1994); negotiating the Torres Strait Treaty; speaking at the United Nations; currently being the priest for St John the Divine Parish Church of Torres Strait at Yam; his first recollection music and dance; traditional language; Torres Strait Creole; children's status in community; Mixie Lui; how dancers hand actions, explain meaning of songs; railway songs; when Islanders gather socially they sing; railway work on mainland bringing islanders together for first time, who were previously separated by sea; changes in the community use of music and dance; Maino Kelly.
Lui Jr. discusses how the community was close knit and everyone participated but now more difficult because of other activities; trying to encourage language use at St Johns Church but few elder speakers left; singing hymns in language; during negotiations for east coast fishing licensing, songs were used to establish connections to those areas e.g. such as Swain Reefs to the Great Barrier Reef; the Yam language program; the importance of the Torres Strait Regional Authority recording project; having language is important to understanding one's heritage; not having heritage to pass down; envying other islands where language was strong; taking along fluent language speakers to community meetings to explain; how young people should grasp opportunity to learn language.
- Recorded on September 11, 2007 on Yam-I Island, Qld.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Hankin, Aggie, 1968-, interviewer
- Related Records:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2077 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Roy Kebisu interviewed by Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ned David interviewed by William Kepa and Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Harry Lui interviewed by William Kepa and Murray Lui in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ted Billy interviewed by William Kepa in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]