Ned David interviewed by William Kepa and Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- David, Ned, 1966-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research. Written permission is required for personal copies and public use during the lifetime of the interviewee.
- 2007 Sept. 11
- 1 sound file (ca. 18 min.)
- Torres Strait songs project.
David Ned David raised on Yam-Iama Island, speaks about music and dance being a major part of his life; music and dance traditions being passed down by oral transmission; children being made to watch, and learn the dance and music; learning to dance as social and cultural entertainment; the songs and dances of the Torres Straits being about pearling, diving, crayfishing, warriors; railway songs and dances from men working on the mainland; the men composing the songs and dances, with collaboration for different parts; making 'playthings' (dance props), learnt from the elders by imitating them; the changes in materials used for dancing, was natural materials but now non-traditional materials; the younger generation showing little interest in the culture; Uncle Maigun [Merico Kebisu] being his role model; this project helping to revive culture; youth can watch a DVD whereas he had live role models; how songs are more than just songs, they are about the community; the importance of actions to Kores (songs); composing songs since his religious conversion (July 1994); the meaning of music and dance changing after conversion.
- Recorded on September 11, 2007 on Yam-Iama Island, Qld.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Interview conducted in English and Torres Strait Island creole.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2077 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Roy Kebisu interviewed by Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Harry Lui interviewed by William Kepa and Murray Lui in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Gaetano Lui Junior interviewed by Aggie Hankin in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ted Billy interviewed by William Kepa in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]