Salu Sebasio interviewed by Aggie Hankin in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Sebasio, Salu, 1933-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 2007 Sept. 11
- 1 sound file (ca. 31 min.)
- Torres Strait songs project.
Mrs. Salu Sebasio speaks about her marriages and children; being active in community as teacher and a nursing aide; returning to the community when she had a child; the strict culture, obeying the elders; misbehaving men being put off the island; being proud to be from a good family background; respecting elders an important part of life in Torres Strait; being proud of her culture; family sitting together every Sunday to sing language hymns; studying island music and dance from the age of 10; Maza Samuel: composing songs about stars, moon, sea, wind and the local environment; asking about the songs, learnt verbally, oral transmission; WWII songs; singing the island songs; men being the composers of songs; actions to songs; marriage, tombstone opening, birthdays etc. celebrations; how dances and language have stayed quite similar to old days; influences on the younger people; taking pride in being Indigenous; how there are few elders left in community; the diminishing culture but accepting of change; the importance of this project because it helps to preserve culture; the islanders culture of giving and sharing; the recording of language hymns, Aggie Hankin and Jillian Thaiday's involvement; performs solo song about wind [koki] that circles around Yam island.
- The term 'language' refers to the traditional Torres Strait language Kala Lagaw Ya of the Western and Central Islands and its various dialects.
- Recorded on September 11, 2007 on Yam-Iama Island, Qld.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Interview conducted in English and Torres Strait creole.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Hankin, Aggie, 1968-, interviewer
- Related Records:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2077 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Gaetano Lui Junior interviewed by Aggie Hankin in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Roy Kebisu interviewed by Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ned David interviewed by William Kepa and Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ted Billy interviewed by William Kepa in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]