Lettres reçues d'Océanie par l'administration générale des pères maristes pendant le généralat de Jean-Claude Colin / [réunies par] Charles Girard
- Bib ID:
- Édition critique.
- Paris : Karthala ; Rome : Société de Marie (Pères Maristes), 2009
- 10 v. ; 25 cm.
Written by the first Catholic missionaries to work in the western Pacific, the letters, were sent by the Marist missionaries back to the general administration of the Marist Fathers, based in Lyons, France. Transcribed by Charles Girard, a Marist Catholic priest, the records offer insights into the daily lives, cultures and beliefs of indigenous islanders, as well as the attitudes, challenges and experiences of the missionaries. The letters describe in extensive detail the way people lived and worked in New Zealand, New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia ,Wallis, Futuna, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa.
- Full contents:
- v.1. 1836-1841
- v.3. 1844-1845
- v.4. 1846
- v.5. 1847
- v.6. 1848-1849
- v.7. 1850
- v.8. 1851-1852
- v.9. 1853-1854
- v.10 Index.
- Includes index.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Girard, Charles
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Bible & treaty : missionaries among the Māori : a new perspective/ Keith Newman
- Arendt, Augustine, and the new beginning : the action theory and moral thought of Hannah Arendt in the light of her dissertation on St. Augustine / Stephan Kampowski
- The letters of Sylvia Beach / edited by Keri Walsh ; with a forward by Noel Riley Fitch
- Correspondance / Voltaire
- Malay encounter during Benjamin Peach Keasberry's time in Singapore, 1835 to 1875 / by Teo Eng Liang