John Croaker : convict embezzler / John Booker and Russell Craig
- Bib ID:
- Booker, John, 1941-
- Carlton South, Vic. : Melbourne University Press, 2000
- x, 206 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
"John Croaker was born in humble but respectable circumstances in Canterbury, Kent, and became principal clerk at the Isle of Thanet Bank in Margate. This might have been the sum total of his life's achievements if he hadn't begun fiddling the bank's accounts. After absconding to Calais in 1815 with stolen assets, he was convicted of embezzling the proceeds of a bill of exchange, and transported to New South Wales for fourteen years." "Croaker's career generates a succession of interesting issues. His involvements in banking, brewing and the law have allowed John Booker and Russell Craig to use him as a window on the economic, judicial and social conditions of his age, both in England and in New South Wales."--BOOK JACKET.
- Includes index.
- Bibliography: p. 189-197.
- Croaker, John, 1788-1824
- Convicts -- New South Wales -- Biography
- Convicts -- Employment -- New South Wales
- Brewing industry -- New South Wales -- History
- Bookkeeping -- Australia -- History
- New South Wales -- Social life and customs -- 1788-1851
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century
- New South Wales -- Social conditions -- 1788-1851
- Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 18th century
- New South Wales -- Economic conditions -- 1788-1851
- Great Britain -- Economic conditions -- 18th century
- Other authors/contributors:
- Craig, Russell James
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Illustrations of the present state and future prospects of the colony of New South Wales [microform] / by an Impartial Observer
- New South Wales literary, political and commercial advertiser
- The present picture of New South Wales... / by D.D. Mann
- Illustrations of the present state and future prospects of the colony of New South Wales / by an Impartial Observer
- An historical and statistical account of New South Wales : both as a penal settlement and as a British colony / by John Dunmore Lang