Noel Flanagan interviewed by John Farquharson [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Flanagan, Noel (Noel Joseph), 1917-2009, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Written permission required for research, personal copies and public use during the lifetime of the interviewee.
- 6 digital audio tapes (ca. 289 min.)
Noel Flanagan, former Director, Australian War Memorial, talks about his family and growing up in Tocumwal, N.S.W., influence of Dr Olaf Francis de Lacy on his life, school and university life, acceptance in to the Public Service, enlistment in RAAF in 1942, return to Public Service, arrival in Canberra in 1947 to work for Prices Commission, move to the Prime Minister's Dept in 1964 to head the Management Services Branch, impressions of Holt as Immigration Minister and as Prime Minister. Flanagan talks about meeting his future wife, whom he married in 1953, appointment to Directorship of the Australian War Memorial in 1974, his impressions of the War Memorial and the changes made during his term. Flanagan reflects on 44 years of Public Service life and the changes now being made in the 1990's.
- Recorded on July 23, July 30 and Aug. 5, 1997 in Canberra.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Transcript available (typescript, 107 leaves) available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Farquharson, John M., 1929-2016, interviewer
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2067 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Noel Staunton interviewed by Lee Christofis [sound recording]
- Noel Fullerton, camel rancher, talks about Indigenous people's customs and living conditions in the Northern Territory
- Noel Stockdale interviewed by Peter Biskup [sound recording]
- Noel Fatnowna interviewed by Professor Roger Keesing [sound recording]