To constitute a nation : a cultural history of Australia's constitution / Helen Irving
- Bib ID:
- Irving, Helen
- Online Version:
- Table of contents
- Related Online Resources:
- Publisher description
- Cambridge, U.K. ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 1997
- xiii, 253 p. ; 24 cm.
- 0521584175 (alkaline paper) (hardback)
- Studies in Australian history.
The men who drafted the Australian Constitution in the 1890s may have thought that they were filling in blank pages, but in fact those pages were already inscribed with the dominant values and ideas of the times. This imaginative and resonant book looks at the Constitution as a cultural artefact and attempts to understand the period during which it emerged, culminating in Federation in 1901. The book argues that Australians displayed an ability to reconcile the demands of pragmatism with the spirit of romanticism in constituting their nation.
- Full contents:
- 1. Colonial Nuptials
- 2. The Imaginary Nation
- 3. Imagined Constitutions
- 4. Models For a Nation
- 5. Things Properly Federal
- 6. White Australians
- 7. Australian Natives
- 8. The People
- 9. Citizens
- 10. Half the Nation
- 11. The Federal Compact
- App. Key Sections of the Constitution.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 240-248) and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- To constitute a nation : a cultural history of Australia's constitution / Helen Irving
- A bunyip democracy : the Parliament and Australian political identity / James Warden
- Rehearsals for change : politics and culture in Australia / [by] Dennis Altman
- Political sociology: an Australian perspective / Paul L. Reynolds
- Foundations for Australian political analysis : politics and authority / D.A. Kemp