Remembering Patrick White : contemporary critical essays / edited by Elizabeth McMahon and Brigitta Olubas
- Bib ID:
- Amsterdam ; New York : Rodopi, 2010
- xvii, 218 p. ; 23 cm.
- Cross/cultures ; 128.
Remembering Patrick White presents the first major study of the full range of White's work in over twenty-five years, and aims to bring this important author up to date for new generations of readers and scholars. Patrick White is a writer of moods and perspectives and the essays collected here range in their focus over his public presentations, his formal challenges, his spiritual leanings and dramatic gestures. They examine the breadth and significance of White's intellectual contribution and consider the ongoing legacy of his thought and his art within national and international frames. As a collection, they focus our attention on what Patrick White means at the juncture of the present, reading his work through contemporary critical perspectives that further underscore the dynamism and substance of his writing. Remembering Patrick White is an essential shot in the arm. It reminds us we do need actively to remember Patrick White, to fetch him back centre-tage in Australian literary scholarship. And yet the essays in this book also look forward, remembering in order to re-energise scholarship on White's novels, plays, and life. Indeed, if this timely book reminds us of the vitality - and the resolute contemporaneousness - of White's intellectual engagement with Australia and the world, it is to show us how much we still have to gain from bringing new perspectives to bear upon his body of work, which is no less astounding in the twenty-first century than it was during his lifetime. (Back cover)
- Full contents:
- 1. Patrick White's Public Selves.
- Brigid Rooney / Public Recluse: Patrick White's Literary-Political Returns.
- Bernadette Brennan / Riders in the Chariot: A Tale For Our Times.
- Rodney Wetherell / Patrick White and his Award.
- 2. Form and Expression.
- Jennifer Rutherford / Homo Nullius: The Politics of Pessimism in Patrick White's The Tree of Man.
- Anthony Uhlmann / The Symbol in Patrick White.
- Elizabeth McMahon / The Lateness and Queerness of The Twyborn Affair: White's Farewell to the Novel.
- 3. White's Metaphysics.
- Bill Ashcroft / The Presence of the Sacred in Patrick White.
- Lyn McCredden / Voss: Earthed and Transformative Sacredness.
- Veronica Brady / The Dragon Slayer: Patrick White and the Contestation of History.
- 4. Performance.
- John McCallum / The Late, Crazy Plays.
- Brigitta Olubas / Some of the doors of the house have never been seen open": Poetic Habitation and Civil Space in Patrick White's Early Drama.
- Gregory Graham-Smith / Against the Androgyne as Humanist He(te)ro: Patrick White's Queering of the Platonic Myth.
- Bibliography Lorraine Burdett / Patrick White, 1994-2009.
- Notes on Contributors.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -209) and index.
- Other authors/contributors:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.