Research Related to the Evaluation of Graduates of Teacher Preparation Programs [microform] / R. L. R. Overing
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Overing, R. L. R
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1970
- 19 p.
This review makes use of studies evaluating teacher education graduates against internal criteria, i.e., objectives specified in the program, and external criteria or evidence of pupil change. The Recommended Standards (see SP 003 720) of the AACTE indicate that such studies are necessary for meaningful evaluation. The literature search, principally through ERIC and "Psychological Abstracts," produced some 200 references. There appear to be no large-scale studies of the extent to which graduates acquired the characteristics intended by the program, but this may be remedied by the USOE-sponsored Elementary Teacher Education Programs. The University of Missouri published a report in 1967 devoted largely to evaluation, but this gave no evidence that graduates reflected the objective criteria of the program in their teaching. An experimental program by Sandefur et al (1967) showed significant behavioral differences, while a similar study by Corle (1967) of inservice training by means of a 15-week ETV program showed little significant difference between the experimental and control groups. No studies could be found evaluating the teacher preparation program against pupil achievement. The question of whether we have the means and techniques to evaluate teacher preparation programs needs to be answered, and the parameters of teacher effectiveness must be defined, possibly by means of numerous small studies which would increase the fund of information needed for a major survey. (MBM)
- ERIC Note: Paper presented at annual meeting, AERA, Minneapolis, 1970.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Measuring hospital performance / John R. Griffith
- The Case for Evaluation as a Type of Applied Research [microform] / L. R. Gay
- Program behavior : models and measurements / Jeffrey R. Spirn
- Evaluation foundations revisited : cultivating a life of the mind for practice / Thomas A. Schwandt
- Metaphors for evaluation : sources of new methods / Nick L. Smith, editor