Making majorities : constituting the nation in Japan, Korea, China, Malaysia, Fiji, Turkey, and the United States / edited by Dru C. Gladney
- Bib ID:
- Online Version:
- Table of contents
- Related Online Resources:
- Publisher description
- Stanford : Stanford University Press, 1998
- xv, 350 p. ; 23 cm.
- 0804730474 (alkaline paper) (hardback)
- 0804730482 (alkaline paper) (paperback)
- Contemporary issues in Asia and the Pacific.
- Full contents:
- Introduction: Making and Marking Majorities / Dru C. Gladney
- Pt. I. Japaneseness. 1. Culturalism, Racialism, and Internationalism in the Discourse on Japanese Identity / Kosaku Yoshino. 2. A Conceptual Model for the Historical Relationship Between the Self and the Internal and External Others: The Agrarian Japanese, the Ainu, and the Special-Status People / Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney
- Pt. II. Koreanness. 3. Who Speaks for Korean Shamans When Shamans Speak of the Nation? / Laurel Kendall. 4. Constructing and Deconstructing "Koreanness" / Cho Hae-joang
- Pt. III. Chineseness. 5. On Three Definitions of Han Ren: Images of the Majority People in Taiwan / Hsieh Shih-chung. 6. Clashed Civilizations? Muslim and Chinese Identities in the PRC / Dru C. Gladney
- Pt. IV. Malayness. 7. Bureaucratic Management of Identity in a Modern State: "Malayness" in Postwar Malaysia / Shamsul A. B. 8. Ideological Work in Constructing the Malay Majority / Anthony Milner
- Pt. V. Fijianness.
- 9. Aspiring to Minority and Other Tactics Against Violence / John D. Kelly. 10. When 8,870-850 = I: Discourses Against Democracy in Fiji, Past and Present / Martha Kaplan
- Pt. VI. Turkishness. 11. From Ottoman to Turk: Self-Image and Social Engineering in Turkey / Selim Deringil. 12. Minority/Majority Discourse: The Case of the Kurds in Turkey / Kemal Kirisci
- Pt. VII. Americanness. 13. Studying Mainstreams and Minorities in North America: Some Epistemological and Ethical Dilemmas / Richard Handler. 14. The Illusion of Paradise: Privileging Multiculturalism in Hawai'i / Jonathan Y. Okamura.
- Based on a conference at the East-West Center"--Pref.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -340) and index.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Gladney, Dru C
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.