An Evaluation of Logical Operations Instruction in the Preschool [microform] / Frank H. Hooper
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Hooper, Frank H
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1970
- 63 p.
As a preparatory step to the design of a preschool curriculum, this study examines three of the complex cognitive behaviors exemplified by the concrete operations period and its developmental prerequisites. Middle-class children in a university laboratory nursery setting were pretested, matched for age and randomly assigned to an instruction or a comparison control group. The instruction group was trained in two clusters of four children per teacher on labeling-classification, discrimination-memory, and seriation tasks. Each cluster consisted of a younger boy, a younger girl, an older boy and an older girl. Each session consisted of 20-30 minutes of organized activity and there were 12 sessions over a 3-week period for each training condition. The control group children had an equivalent amount of separate small group activity with a preschool teacher. The results of posttesting and transfer tasks support the contention that the developmental status of the curriculum target population will determine to a great extent the success or failure of an educational intervention effort. Age-related maturational components are important considerations in any curriculum attempt to modify the course of cognitive development. One half the document presents bibliography and appendixes detailing the training programs. (WY)
- ERIC Note: Paper prepared for a conference of the Center for Advanced Study in Education, City University of New York, New York, May 22-24, 1970.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Teaching in the preschool / Jere E. Brophy, Thomas L. Good, Shari E. Nedler
- Two to five : a handbook for students and teachers / [by] Marianne Parry and Hilda Archer ; [for the Schools Council Pre-school Education Project]
- Play with print : children's preschool initiatives to become readers and writers / Helen Tite
- Xue qian jiao yu xue / Beijing shi fan da xue jiao yu xi xue qian jiao yan shi zu bian ; Liang Zhishen ... [et al.] bian
- Yōchien ga kodomo o dame ni suru : darakushita yōji kyōiku e no chōsenjō / Yano Toshio