Learning About the Labor Force [microform] : Occupational Knowledge Among High School Males / Lois B. DeFleur and Ben A. Menke
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- DeFleur, Lois B
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1971
- 36 p.
Occupational knowledge among high school males from urban and rural areas in eastern Washington was assessed. Over 300 students from a sample of 22 schools were interviewed about occupations present in their region and about job information they had received. Through the use of specially constructed indices (occupational knowledge score, status knowledge scores, salary ranking scores, and salary discrepancy scores), a variety of statistical comparisons were made. The findings indicated little increase in occupational knowledge during the high school years and almost no differences in occupational information possessed by youth from several social class levels. To a limited extent, rural subjects outperformed those from small towns or metropolitan areas of residence. However, occupational awareness did seem to be consistently related to success in school, as was indicated by higher grade point averages. In general, the findings indicated that the formal system of education had done little to insure that the students obtained an adequate understanding of the labor force. It was determined that further systematic studies of occupations should be provided contemporary youth, that the sources from which occupational understandings are drawn should be determined, and that alternative ways for improving the relationship between schools and the labor force must be found. (Author/HBC)
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Direct discretization of planar div-curl problems [microform] / R.A. Nicolaides
- Time-stable boundary conditions for finite-difference schemessolving hyperbolic systems [microform] : methodology and application to high-order compact schemes / Mark H. Carpenter, David Gottlieb, Saul Abarbanel
- Individual differences : normal and abnormal / Michael W. Eysenck
- Individual differences : traits and factors / Allan R. Buss and Wayne Poley
- Finite difference schemes for long-time integration [microform] / Zigo Haras, Shlomo Ta'asan