Life-Span Analyses of Piagetian Concept Tasks [microform] : The Search for Nontrivial Qualitative Change / Frank H. Hooper
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Hooper, Frank H
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1973
- 26 p.
The implications of a life-span developmental prospective for Piagetian theory and research are discussed in this paper. Initially, certain recent criticisms of the Piagetian system are evaluated. These include the interpretations of Piaget's abstract model of logical reasoning; his views concerning the interrelationship of hereditary, maturational, and socioexperiential factors; the similarities and contrasts present in the Genevan viewpoint and neo-Hegelian dialectical approaches; and the possibility of continued developmental change following the adolescent years. A brief overview of the research on Piagetian concept development beyond the years of adolescence is presented. These cross-sectional assessment studies which have included samples of elderly subjects have generally found marked differences favoring the mature adult subsamples, similarities between the performances of the young children and aged subject subsamples, and/or apparent decrements in the performances of elderly persons on the Piagetian tasks. In a concluding section the philosophical, methodological, and practical implications of a straightforward acceptance of a life-span orientation are discussed. (TO)
- Sponsoring Agency: National Inst. of Education (DHEW), Washington, DC.
- Contract Number: NE-C-00-3-0065.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Wisconsin Univ., Madison. Research and Development Center for Cognitive Learning
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Evaluation of the Impact of Educational Research and Development Products. Final Report [microform] / Jack J. Crawford and Others
- Qualities Required of Education Today To Meet Foreseeable Demands in the Twenty-first Century. International Symposium and Round Table Proceedings (Beijing, China, November 27-December 2, 1989) [microform]
- The Educational Catalyst [microform] : An Imperative for Today. Occasional Paper 10 / Joe H. Ward and Others
- Guidelines for Project Design, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation [microform] / Henry P. Cole and John G. Herlihy
- An Introduction to Lifelong Education [microform] / Paul Lengrand