Career Anchors and Career Paths [microform] : A Panel Study of Management School Graduates. Technical Report No. 1 / Edgar H. Schein
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Schein, Edgar H
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1974
- 36 p.
The first of a series, this report describes a 10-year followup study of a sample of 44 graduates of the Sloan School of Management, analyzing the interaction of personal values and career events in the lives of managers in organizations. All 44 participants were located, interviewed, and given the same attitude surveys as in the early 1960's. This particular report deals with those results pertaining to the "career anchor" concept, a motivational/attitudinal/value syndrome which guides and constrains an individual's career and reflects both individual and societal influences. Five basic career anchors were defined from the point of view of participants in the study: (1) managerial competence, (2) technical/functional competence, (3) organizational security, (4) creativity, and (5) autonomy. Although formal titles or career paths may appear overtly similar, important differences may exist in the anchors of career occupants. Classification into career anchor groups was on the basis of reasons for career choice, reasons for job moves, and objectives in life. The concept of career anchor was found to be a viable categorization method. Implications for the concept of career anchors are the early identification of these syndromes and the creating of congruent career opportunities. (EA)
- Sponsoring Agency: Office of Naval Research, Washington, DC. Organizational Effectiveness Research Program.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Massachusetts Inst. of Tech., Cambridge. Alfred P. Sloan School of Management
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- A Selected Bibliography of ERIC Career Education, Career Guidance, and Career Development Resources [microform]
- Career Education. Career Preparation and Career Development. K-12 [microform]
- Career, more than just a job : career guidance understandings informing the development of the National Career Information System / Mary McMahon & Peter Tatham
- Project CAREER Process as It Relates Particularly to Project CAREER [microform] : Handicapped
- Procurement Career Management Handbook [microform]