The Search for a Distinctly Piagetian Contribution to Education. Theoretical Paper No. 50 [microform] / Frank H. Hooper and John D. De Frain
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Hooper, Frank H
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1974
- 38 p.
Attempts to apply Piagetian theory and research to educational settings are reviewed and evaluated. The fundamental assumptions of Piagetian theory are briefly summarized and the educational philosophy of Piaget is presented. Five representative early childhood education programs (as designed by Lavatelli, Weikart, Kamii, and DeVries, Furth and Wachs, and Bingham-Newman and Saunders) are described and related. Current criticisms of Piagetian theory and associated educational recommendations are reviewed and it is concluded that adopting a genuine Piagetian perspective conveys mixed blessings upon the aspirant educational innovator. The major valid principles which may be derived from the Piagetian system include: (1) an awareness of intellectual product/process distinctions, (2) a recognition of the crucial role of play activities, social interaction, and associated peer group processes, and (3) the essential stipulation of self-initiated active involvement as the primary determinant of intellectual development. The third principle provides the fundamental continuity between Piaget's views and the numerous open classroom and self-discovery learning approaches to educational innovation. (Author/CS)
- Sponsoring Agency: National Inst. of Education (DHEW), Washington, DC.
- Contract Number: NE-C-00-3-0065.
- ERIC Note: Report from the Project on Conditions of School Learning and Instructional Strategies.
- Educational level discussed: Early Childhood Education.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- The Practice Profile [microform] : An All Purpose Tool for Program Communication, Staff Development, Evaluation and Improvement / Susan F. Loucks and David P. Crandall
- Management and Accountability Procedures [microform] : DEEP - The New Mexico State Facilitator
- Preparing Educational Proposals. A Guide for Teachers [microform] / Herbert T. Tilley
- Indiana Secondary Vocational Guidance Planning Handbook. Field Test Edition [microform] / Joyce E. Phelps
- The First 18 Months [microform] : A Financial Report of the Gresham Chair / Robert Gillette