Papers of Marian Eldridge, 1942-1997 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Eldridge, Marian, 1936-1997
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 10.41 m. (39 boxes) + 10 cartons + 2 packets.
The MS 9227 collection comprises personal correspondence, financial papers, correspondence concerning the writing and publication of Marian Eldridge's various works, handwritten drafts, typescripts, copy-edit and page proofs, notes and research material, and book reviews. The personal and literary correspondence documents her relationships with other writers, friends, and members of the Eldridge and Stockfeld families. The principal literary correspondents include Geoffrey Dutton, Judith Wright, Vance Palmer, Gwen Harwood, Ian R. Mathews, John Barnes, Myra Roper, Edith Conley, Irene Summy, Anne Elder and Joan Mas. The personal correspondents include Eldridge's mother, writer Gwen Stockfeld; her brother David Stockfield; her children David, James, Elizabeth, and Catherine Eldridge; various Eldridge and Stockfeld relatives, and friends from Australia and overseas (30 boxes).
The Acc01.082 instalment comprises juvenilia, correspondence, drafts, articles, reviews, talks, and files on writing projects and literary organisations, teaching notes, research material on various writers, business and legal papers, publications containing Eldridge's contributions, and condolences following her death (4 boxes, 10 cartons).
The Acc03.119 instalment includes diaries, 1954-1956 and 1964-1972, correspondence between Ken and Marian Eldridge, 1955-1990s, letters from Ken and Marian to their children, 1978-1979, letters from Brian Stockfeld to his mother and between Brian and Gwen Stockfeld, 1921-1970s, school magazines and other miscellaneous papers (5 boxes, 1 packet).
The Acc09.158 instalment includes five notebooks kept by Marian Eldridge on her writings, and three diaries she kept just before her death (1 packet).
Short story writer and novelist. Marian Eldridge published three short story collections, Walking the dog and other stories (1984), The woman at the window (1989), and The wild sweet flowers: Alvie Skerritt stories (1994), and a novel, Springfield (1992). Eldridge also edited the anthology Amongst the leaves: prose and poetry from students' workshops at Darwin High School (1989) and contributed her short story "Capital gains" to Canberra tales: stories (1988) an anthology of stories set in and about Canberra and compiled by the Seven Writers.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9227, MS Acc01.082, MS Acc03.119, MS Acc09.158.
- Associated materials: Papers of Gwen Stockfeld, 1864-1999 MS 9228.
- Related Material:
- Marian Eldridge interviewed by Heather Rusden; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 2919.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available online.
- Eldridge, Marian, 1936-1997 -- Archives
- Conley, Edith -- Correspondence
- Dutton, Geoffrey, 1922-1998 -- Correspondence
- Harwood, Gwen, 1920-1995 -- Correspondence
- Mas, Joan, -1974 -- Correspondence
- Mathews, Ian, 1933- -- Correpondence
- Palmer, Vance, 1885-1959 -- Correspondence
- Roper, Myra, 1911- -- Correspondence
- Stockfeld, Gwen, 1908-1997 -- Correspondence
- Summy, Irene M -- Correspondence
- Wright, Judith, 1915-2000 -- Correspondence
- Authors, Australian -- 20th century -- Archives
- Australian literature -- 20th century -- Women authors
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of Marian Eldridge’s copyright material permitted for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Letters from Gwen Harwood, 1976-1991 [manuscript]
- Collection of poems and letters of members of the Bulletin school 1896-1920 [manuscript]
- Collection of manuscripts and correspondence of Australian authors 1864-1925 [manuscript]
- Papers of David Moore, 1955-1988 [manuscript]
- Letters from David Martin to Mirjam Michaelis, 1937-1983 [manuscript]