The Search for a Distinctly Piagetian Contribution to Education. Theoretical Paper No. 50 [microform] / Frank H. Hooper and John D. De Frain
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Hooper, Frank H
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1974
- 38 p.
Attempts to apply Piagetian theory and research to educational settings are reviewed and evaluated. The fundamental assumptions of Piagetian theory are briefly summarized and the educational philosophy of Piaget is explained. Five representative early childhood education programs are described. Current criticisms of Piagetian theory and associated educational recommendations are reviewed and it is concluded that adopting a genuine Piagetian perspective conveys mixed blessings upon the aspirant educational innovator. The following principles are thought to be major, valid principles that may be derived from the Piagetian system: an awareness of intellectual product/process distinctions, a recognition of the crucial role of play activities, social interaction and associated peer group processes, and the essential stipulation of self-initiated active involvement as the primary determinant of intellectual development. The third principle is thought to provide the fundamental continuity between Piaget's views and the numerous open classroom and self-discovery learning approaches to educational innovation. (Author)
- Sponsoring Agency: National Inst. of Education (DHEW), Washington, DC.
- Contract Number: NE-C-00-3-0065.
- Educational level discussed: Early Childhood Education.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Child study and guidance in schools / A. W. Bolger
- Was ist eine humane Schule? : drei Vortrage / Hartmut von Hentig
- Modern education; a critique of its fundamental ideas. Translated from the German by Mabel E. Moxon
- Educational Alternatives [microform] : A Monograph for the Open Education Lesson in the Instructional Technology Course for Teachers / Peter J. Dirr
- Footsteps [microform] : A Television Series on Parenting. Home Viewer Guide / Sharon Barry and Others