Papers of Christine Williams, 1876-2006 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Williams, Chris, 1952-
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part requires permission for research. Not for loan.
- 3.30 m. (15 boxes) + 2 cartons + 1 fol. box.
MS 8065 contains manuscripts, proofs, correspondence, notes and photographs relating to Williams' biography of Christina Stead and her later publication, Fathers & sons. For the biography of Stead, the correspondence is mostly with Stead's friends and acquaintances. During the research Williams also corresponded with the Australian Archives, US Intelligence and FBI, Virago and McPhee Gribble. The chief correspondents are C.B. Christesen, Dorothy Green, Jack Lindsay and Kate Stead. Material for the book Fathers & sons includes correspondence, drafts of the interview manuscripts and photographs. The interviewees include Graeme Blundell, Ric Charlesworth, Marcus Einfeld, Michael Kirby, Lionel Rose, Norman Swan, Ted Whitten Jr., Robyn Williams and Michael Wilding (11 boxes, 1 fol. box).
The Acc05.121 instalment includes a typescript of Jiddu Krishnamurti: world philosopher (1895-1986): his life and thoughts, with related research material and correspondence concerning the publication. In addition, there are extensive extracts from Krishnamurti correspondence 1920-1986 and research on Krishnamurti's visits to Australia, including transcripts of and notes on interviews conducted by Williams with people who attended Krishnamurti's last (1970) Sydney meetings (4 boxes).
The Acc06.174 instalment comprises papers associated with the research and writing of Green power: environmentalists who have changed the face of Australia (2 cartons).
Journalist and writer. Christine (Chris) Williams has published three books in Australia, namely, Christina Stead: a life in letters (1989), Fathers & sons (1996) and Green power: environmentalists who have changed the face of Australia (2006).
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 8065, MS Acc05.121, MS Acc06.174.
- Interview recordings which accompanied the Papers of Christine Williams transferred to Oral History collection.
- Associated materials: Papers of Christina Stead, 1919-1996 MS 4967.
- Related Material:
- Christine Williams MS 8065 collection; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 2625.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available online.
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.