A Representative Series of Piagetian Concrete Operations Tasks. Theoretical Paper No. 57 [microform] / Frank H. Hooper and Others
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Hooper, Frank H
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1975
- 100 p.
As an integral step in a comprehensive, four year longitudinal analysis of concept development, a series of logical concept tasks based upon Piagetian theory, and suitable for administration to individuals five years of age or older, are described. The developmental focus was the logical groupements associated with the concrete operations period of middle-childhood. Sixty-four binary choice items were devised; one half of these assessed the operation of logical composition while the remainder assessed the inverse operation and reciprocal operation. In addition, complimentary concrete operations tasks, adapted from the procedures of previous normative investigations, were administered. These included dichotomous sorting, some-all understanding, class inclusion, cardinality, combinatorial reasoning, serial ordering, addition, and correspondence, transitive inference, and conservation of length, weight, and number. A sample of 180 children (equal numbers of kindergarten, and third and sixth grade male and female subjects) received the concept task series. Significant sex differences and order of presentation effects were generally absent. As anticipated, grade-level main effects were significant for the great majority of the tasks. Psychometric analyses were conducted, and it was concluded that the task series was a generally reliable assessment of logical reasoning. (Author/SD)
- Sponsoring Agency: National Inst. of Education (DHEW), Washington, DC.
- Contract Number: NE-C-00-3-0065.
- ERIC Note: Report from the Project on Children's Learning and Development.
- Educational level discussed: Elementary Education.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Wisconsin Univ., Madison. Research and Development Center for Cognitive Learning
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- The process of learning mathematics / edited by L.R. Chapman
- Developing Remedial Mathematics Strategies [microform] / Barbara R. Sadowski
- Ikonic and Symbolic Representation. A Study of Mathematical Reasoning [microform] / Irv King
- Mathematics in the Elementary School [microform] / Marlow Ediger
- An Intraconcept Analysis of Rational Number Subtraction [microform] : A Validation Study / A. Edward Uprichard and E. Ray Phillips