Dance [microform] : A Catalyst of Religion / Ida F. Chadwick
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Chadwick, Ida F
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1976
- 69 p.
This paper traces the history of the dance as a religious expression. Dance rituals identifying with a deity predate written history and have persisted in all cultures up to modern times. Individual and group ecstacy induced by dancing enacted man's relationship to God as well as interpreting God to people of widely different cultural backgrounds. The ancient pagan rite of dancing as a religious expression was so deeply ingrained in the human need for vivid and enthusiastic experience that it was carried into the very early Christian church. Gradually, as church organization and authority grew, it became formalized and at length repressed. While spontaneous dancing remains a part of ritualized religion in primitive cultures, with the exception of a few minor cults it is no longer a feature of western religions. Recently, however, interest in the dance incorporated into liturgical worship has revived. It presently takes the form of structured religious interpretation by professional dancers. (JD)
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Prawattisāt prathēt nai klum ʻĀsīan (2) : Wīatnām, Mālēsīa, ʻIndonēsīa, Filippin, Singkhāpō, Brūnai (chabap sœ̄m khō̜mūn mai) = history of Southeast Asia, Book 2 : Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Brunei / Dūangthidā Rāmēt, rīaprīang
- The company : a short history of a revolutionary idea / John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge
- The Far East in modern times / by J. Russell Andrus ... [et al.] ; edited by Barbara J. Stewart ; with a foreword by B. R. Pearn
- Your home : the inside story of the Australian house / John Archer
- Geschichtliche Darstellung des Handels, der Gewerbe und des Ackerbaus der bedeutendsten handeltreibenden Staaten unsrer Zeit [electronic resource] / von Gustav von Gülich