Documentary Elements in Early Films [microform] / Richard A. Sanderson
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Sanderson, Richard A
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1977
- 18 p.
Focusing on documentary elements, this study examines the film content and film techniques of 681 motion pictures produced in the United States prior to 1904. Analysis of films by type, subject matter, and trends in subject matter shows that one-third of the early films are documentary in type and three-fourths of the films use subject matter of a documentary nature. In 1898 and 1899, when there was a decline in film production, the films that were produced concentrated on military subjects; it is suggested that, as the novelty of viewing film decreased, film producers turned to the depiction of remote but newsworthy current events, such as the Spanish-American War, as a way to attract larger audiences. After analyzing overall film structure, choice of shots, and arrangement of shots, the study found that early documentaries of news and sport events show the greatest use and development of film techniques. Seven films judged outstanding in their use of film composition techniques are briefly described at the end of the study. (RL)
- ERIC Note: Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the University Film Association (31st, College Park, Maryland, August 1-5, 1977).
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Speeches/Meeting Papers.
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Einfuhrung in die Filmanalyse / Werner Faulstich
- Film as film : understanding and judging movies / V.F. Perkins
- Zagadnienia interpretacji dziela filmowego / pod redakcja Jana Trzynadlowskiego
- The origins of American film criticism, 1909-1939
- The crisis of political modernism : criticism and ideology in contemporary film theory / D.N. Rodowick