Lexical Dominance [microform] : A Case Study of English and Greek. Occasional Papers on Linguistics, No. 1 / Frances Butler Hinofotis
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Hinofotis, Frances Butler
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1977
- 34 p.
This study was undertaken to examine the suspicion that a young Greek girl in the short time span of two years had become more fluent in a second language (English) than in her native tongue. To provide a basis of comparison the tests used in this study were also given to the child's older brother who had been in the United States for approximately the same length of time. The girl was 7:1 years old when her family came to the United States and she knew no English at all. Her brother was 14 and had studied English in Greece. Both children took three tests which were measures of lexical dominance: a picture vocabulary test and two word association tests. The data gathered from the study suggest that the girl was losing facility in Greek and was already ahead in performance in English after only two years in the United States. Her brother, on the other hand, seemed to be moving closer to a bilingualism in which he would be able to control both languages with equal facility in appropriate situations. Unlike his sister, however, he would probably always have an accent when speaking English. (Author/CFM)
- ERIC Note: Proceedings of the International Conference on Frontiers in Language Proficiency and Dominance Testing (1st, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, April 21-23, 1977).
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Speeches/Meeting Papers.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Southern Illinois Univ., Carbondale. Dept. of Linguistics
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Seribu satu kesalahan berbahasa : bahan penyuluhan bahasa Indonesia / Zaenal Arifin, Farid Hadi
- Fostering second language development in young children [microform]
- Di er yu yan xi de li lun yu Han yu jiao xue yan jiu [electronic resource] / Meng Guo
- Bridging discourses in the ESL classroom / by Pauline Gibbons
- Issues in second-language learning : general and particular / T.J. Quinn and T.F. McNamara