Deafness [microform] : Implications for Sexuality / Max Fitz-Gerald and Della Fitz-Gerald
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Fitz-Gerald, Max
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1978
- 18 p.
There is a need for increased sex education for deaf children and adults as well as more accepting attitudes by the deaf themselves and general society. Myths which have hampered acceptance of the deaf include the belief that deaf persons can easily read lips. Surveys of deaf adults have indicated sexual segregation in residential schools and little opportunity to obtain sexual knowledge or experience. A recent survey of residential facilities indicates that 66% of the institutions have "formal" sex education programs, though much of the instruction appeared to be meager or crisis oriented in nature. A needs assessment indicates a need for development of appropriate sex education curricula and instructional materials for the deaf; the need for instructors trained in the special problems of the deaf as well as sex education; parent education; interpreters to aid communication between medical personnel and the deaf; research into the areas of gender identity, sign language, and marriage and divorce among the deaf; and provision of appropriate counseling/therapy services for the deaf. Deaf persons need to reject the idea that they are not potentially sexual or lovable and use militancy in changing societal attitudes toward them. (DB)
- ERIC Note: Paper presented at the Annual International Convention, The Council for Exceptional Children (56th, Kansas City, Missouri, May 2-5, 1978, Session W23).
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Speeches/Meeting Papers.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Fitz-Gerald, Della, author
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2058 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- An alphabet of fruit / Catherine Fitz-Gerald
- National and patriotic airs [music] : France / arranged by John Fitz-Gerald
- Maurice Fitz-Gerald, gent. - - appellant. Christopher Eustace, gent. - - - respondent. The case of the appellant [electronic resource]
- Brisbane : water, power and industry / edited by Carolyn Fitz-Gerald
- Information technology : a framework / Lois Fitz-Gerald, Virginia Krumins