Transsexualism [microform] : An Issue of Sex-Role Stereotyping / Janice Raymond
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Raymond, Janice
- [Washington, D.C.]] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1978
- 11 p.
Transsexualism offers a unique perspective on gender identity, sex-role stereotyping, and sex differences in a patriarchal society. It is also an important medical ethical issue which raises questions of bodily mutilation and integrity, nature versus technology, medical research priorities, unnecessary surgery, and the medical model, as well as definitions of maleness and femaleness. It is suggested that transsexualism is primarily caused by the rigid sex-role stereotypes that a sexist society generates, and is therefore symptomatic of something that is wrong on a deeper level. The role of gender identity clinics and the medical establishment in fostering and reinforcing stereotyped behavior is explored, and it is suggested that a benevolent form of behavior control and modification is occurring. Directions for change in treatment are outlined, including greater concern for the integrity of both the individual and society, and counseling which incorporates elements of "consciousness-raising." (KA)
- ERIC Note: Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (February, 1978).
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reference Materials, Bibliographies.
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- The individual, sex and society. Edited by Carlfred B. Broderick and Jessie Bernard
- Sex, sin & solution
- Sexualite humaine : histoire, ethnologie, sociologie, psychanalyse, philosophie
- Sex in modern life : a survey of sexual life in adolescence and marriage / by Robert V. Storer
- Sex and the adolescent : a guide for young people and their parents / foreword by Eustace Chesser