The Use of Variable Rules in Describing the Interlanguage of Second Language Learners [microform] / Ann-Marie Stauble and Diane Larsen-Freeman
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Stauble, Ann-Marie
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1978
- 17 p.
This study presents a formal device which can be used to display interlanguage variability while revealing its overall systematicity. Two types of variability are recognized: (1) production of a number of variant structures for a single target language structure at one point in time; and (2) variation over time that is attributable to the instability of interlanguage. A review of sociolinguistic approaches indicates that only through the application of both the variable rule and implicational scaling devices can one: (1) generalize about frequency of occurrence of non-target forms at any point in time, (2) get an overview of the directionality of the learner's interlanguage development, and (3) see the existence of irregularities in the changing interlanguage. The proposed approach is illustrated with Stauble's study of the English negation development exhibited by three native-speakers of Spanish. The rules that are constructed through use of the approach under discussion define the linguistic environment in which variant forms occur and state the percentage of certain utterances accounted for by each rule at each stage of development. (AMH)
- ERIC Note: In its Workpapers in Teaching English as a Second Language, Volume 12, p72-87, Jun 1978.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Seribu satu kesalahan berbahasa : bahan penyuluhan bahasa Indonesia / Zaenal Arifin, Farid Hadi
- The role of styles and strategies in second language learning [microform] / prepared by Rebecca Oxford
- Current approaches to second language acquisition : proceedings of the 1984 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Linguistics Symposium / edited by Barbara Wheatley ... [et al.]
- Bridging discourses in the ESL classroom / by Pauline Gibbons
- Understanding second language acquisition / Rod Ellis