Adult [microform] : Continuing Education / K. Patricia Cross
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Cross, K. Patricia
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1986
- 18 p.
Patterns that emerged from reviewing course syllabi on adult and continuing education are discussed, and a sample syllabus is presented. These courses are offered as part of graduate level studies in the field of higher education administration. Seventeen professors provided syllabi from 43 courses taught at 9 universities. Modest agreement on course titles was found. Subject matter of courses and the frequency of each category were as follows: introductory and survey courses (9), program planning and marketing (7), adult learning (7), organization and administration (5), aging/gerontology (3), adult development (2), research methods (2), international (2), and other (6). There was little consensus on what constitutes a basic reading list. A total of 45 textbooks and required readings were listed. The four most frequently used books, their authors, publishers, and publication dates are identified. No book emerged as a "definitive" overview of adult and continuing education. A large number of the books were recently published, suggesting that adult education is a field of growing interest and/or that adult education professors are keeping current with the latest scholarship in the field. Overall, there appeared to be little consensus on what constitutes a base of knowledge of adult education. A sample syllabus from Rutgers University is presented. A list of members of the course syllabi network is included. (SW)
- ERIC Note: Prepared as part of the ASHE-ERIC Clearinghouse for Course Syllabi in Higher Education. For related documents, see HE 019 577-593. Some pages contain light, broken type.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Adult Development
- Adult Education
- Adult Learning
- Aging (Individuals)
- Continuing Education
- Course Content
- Course Descriptions
- Course Organization
- Curriculum Development
- Graduate Study
- Higher Education
- Postsecondary Education as a Field of Study
- Teaching Guides
- ASHE ERIC Higher Education Course Syllabi Project
- Rutgers the State University NJ
- Other authors/contributors:
- Association for the Study of Higher Education
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- X 332.7. Foundations of Adult Education [microform] / Walter Popkin
- Communication and Gerontology [microform] : A Proposed Solution to Shared Problems / Gordon R. Owen
- A Review of Adult Development and Learning Courses Taught at Twenty-Four North American Universities [microform] : A Content Analysis / Peter J. Murk and Jovita M. Ross
- Model for Developing and Implementing a Graduate Adult Educator Program at a Teacher Training Institution [microform] / Moses Stambler
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program [microform] : Theories for Extended Pediatric Nursing Practice / Margaret A. Brady