The Ph.D. versus the Ed.D. [microform] : Time for a Decision / Russell T. Osguthorpe and Mei Jiuan Wong
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Osguthorpe, Russell T
- Online Version:
- [Washington, D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1991
- 20 p.
A survey was taken of the 664 U.S. institutions that offer doctoral programs in education and institutional catalogues were reviewed to determine trends regarding the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) versus the Doctor of Education (Ed.D.). Analysis of the 407 (61 percent) questionnaires that were returned indicated that: (1) there is no clear institutional movement toward one degree title or the other; (2) research universities are increasingly reluctant, while comprehensive colleges and universities are increasingly likely, to offer the Ed.D. as their only doctoral degree title; and (3) requirements for the two doctoral programs are remarkably similar, including competencies in research and statistics. The findings are discussed in relation to three common positions of those who favor the Ed.D. over the Ph.D.: (1) the professional school argument (schools of education are professional schools and therefore should pattern themselves after other professional schools rather than attempt to mimic the social sciences); (2) the unification argument (the Ed.D. would provide the needed mechanism to unify the field of education by bringing together the various disciplines grouped into schools of education); and (3) the autonomy argument (a unique doctoral title might allow schools of education to enjoy the kind of autonomy enjoyed by law and medical schools). Findings also indicate that increased national dialogue is necessary to strengthen the education profession by reducing confusion between its two doctoral degree titles. (Author/LL)
- Educational level discussed: Higher Education.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Reports, Research.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Wong, Mei Jiuan, author
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- The Doctorate in Education. An Inquiry into Conditions Affecting the Pursuit of the Doctoral Degree in the Field of Education. (Chicago, May 2-4, 1960) [microform]
- Future Directions of Doctoral Education for Nurses. Report of a Conference [microform]
- Doctorate Recipients from United States Universities 1958-1966. A Statistical Report [microform]
- Supplemental Statement on the Doctor of Arts Degree 1972 [microform]
- A Directory of Doctoral Level Training Programs in Special Education for the Handicapped - 1969 [microform] / Herman Saettler