Highlights of American Literature [microform] / Carl Bode
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Bode, Carl
- Online Version:
- [S.l.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1995
- 291 p.
Intended for high-intermediate/advanced level students of English as a foreign language, this book contains selections from the wide range of American literature, from its beginnings to the modern period. Each section begins with a general introduction to the literary period, and then presents essays about individual authors, selections from the author's writings, discussion questions at the end of each prose selection or group of poems, and discussion questions at the end of each chapter. The "National Beginnings" section discusses Benjamin Franklin, Washington Irving, James Fenimore Cooper, Philip Freneau, William Cullen Bryant, Edgar Allan Poe, and Nathaniel Hawthorne. The "Romanticism and Reason" section discusses Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Herman Melville, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Mark Twain, Stephen Crane, and Henry James. "The American Short Story: 19th Century Developments" section discusses Ambrose Bierce, Stephen Crane, Edgar Allan Poe, and Frank R. Stockton. The "Realism and Reaction" section discusses Theodore Dreiser, Edwin Arlington Robinson, Carl Sandburg, Sinclair Lewis, Henry L. Mencken, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and John Steinbeck. The "Modern Voices in Prose and Poetry" section discusses Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Robert Frost, Archibald Macleish, William Carlos Williams, Langston Hughes, Katherine Ann Porter, Saul Bellow, Ralph Ellison, Robert Lowell, Theodore Roethke, Randall Jarrell, and James Wright. The "Modern American Drama" section presents two short plays: "Return to Dust" (George Bamber) and "The Other Player" (Owen G. Arno). Suggestions to the teacher conclude the book. (RS)
- ERIC Note: "First published 1981; this edition reprinted 1995.".
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Other authors/contributors:
- United States Information Agency, Washington, DC. Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Literature as social discourse : the practice of linguistic criticism / Roger Fowler
- A pillow for my heart : words for resting our grief / Verna Holyhead
- A Garden treasury : a celebration of gardens and gardeners in poetry and prose / compiled by Elizabeth Blackall
- Writers on Writers [microform] : Literary Biography, A Distinctive Genre / Lynn Z. Bloom
- Literary agents / Australian Society of Authors