Integrating Instructional Ear-Training Techniques into a High School Choral Music Performance Class Curriculum To Improve Students' Sight-Reading Skills [microform] / Dean Philip Anderson
- Bib ID:
- Book and Microform
- Anderson, Dean Philip
- Online Version:
- [Washington D.C.] : Distributed by ERIC Clearinghouse, 1995
- 103 p.
This practicum was designed to integrate time-efficient methods for teaching sight reading during performance classes. A crucial discovery was that music aptitude comprises both cognitive and perceptual processes. Choral students received music training in the mechanics of note and rhythm reading. Learning occurred through the discovery of correct tempo, rote and emulation concepts, music imaging (audiation), and developing mental presets. Cognitive applications, verbalizing goals and expectations, and the importance of the director's daily dispositions were discussed as vital elements of instruction. After 8 months of training, the lower quartile students raised their average score from 4.5 points to an average score of 16.7 points out of 40 points on the Arizona State Sight-Reading Testing Instrument. The second quartile raised their average score from 7.3 to 18.6 points. The third quartile raised their average score from 11.3 to 25.8 points, while the highest quartile raised their average score from 22.7 points to an average score of 35.7 points. (Author/EH)
- ERIC Note: Ed.D. Practicum, Nova Southeastern University.
- May also be available online. Address as at 14/8/18: https://eric.ed.gov/
- Microfiche. [Washington D.C.]: ERIC Clearinghouse microfiches : positive.
- Dissertations/Theses, Practicum Papers.
- Available From:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Brandy of the damned; discoveries of a musical eclectic
- Living music / [by] Carl Nielsen ; translated from the Danish by Reginald Spink
- On receiving the first Aspen award : a speech / Benjamin Britten
- Toshi Ichiyanagi's "Piano Media": Finding parallelisms to patterns in Japanese culture. [microform]
- Sämtliche werke [music] / Johann Joseph Fux ; herausgegeben von der Johann-Joseph fux Gesellschaft, Graz