Papers of Anne Edgeworth, 1927-1990 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Edgeworth, Anne, 1921-2011
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 4.20 m. (24 boxes) + 2 cartons.
MS 7959 comprises research notes and Society records collected in the process of writing the history of the Canberra Repertory Society. The records cover the period 1927-1987 and include minutes, reports, correspondence, statistics, cast lists, constitutions, newsletters, newspaper cuttings and publicity material. There is also a file regarding publication of "Prompt", 1952-1955, correspondence with Christopher Power, typescript drafts of "Rep: a history of Canberra Repertory Society, 1932-82" by Anne Edgeworth, 1983-1990, and miscellaneous papers including annual general meetings and financial papers (6 boxes).
The Acc99.237 instalment comprises files relating to drama in education and schools, the Australian Youth Performing Arts Association (AYPAA) including material on dance, puppetry, music and festivals, TIE study and project questionnaire, youth theatre, education and the arts, the Theatre Board, community arts and community theatre companies, and regional and experimental companies. The instalment also contains various AYPAA reports and publications (16 boxes).
The Acc00.010 instalment comprises five volumes of Canberra Repertory Society transcripts of interviews by Edgeworth for the history of the Society, 1981-1983 (2 boxes).
The Acc01.024 instalment comprises journals written by Edgeworth during her national survey of youth performing arts for AYPAA, undertaken between 1975 and 1977. There are also some maps that were collected during the survey. Reports and articles by Edgeworth are also held in smaller quantities, 1959-1983 (2 cartons).
Theatre director and producer, writer, environmentalist and broadcaster. Anne Edgeworth (also known as Anne Godfrey-Smith) was born in Launceston, Tasmania, in 1921. In 1954 she transferred to Canberra to become theatre manager for the Canberra Repertory Society. Later she researched and wrote a history of the Society that was published in 1992. In the 1970s, as a consultant for the Australian Youth Performing Arts Association, Edgeworth undertook a survey of the status of youth arts that culminated in the publication, Youth performing arts in Australia 1975-1977.
In 1979, she received a British Empire Medal (Civil) for service to theatre. Edgeworth was also a poet and her collections of verse include, The road to Leongatha: poems of Anne Edgeworth (1996), Poems of Canberra (1997), and Poems for off-duty hours (2007). Her poetry has appeared in several anthologies and various journals. She was active in community-based work as well and her involvements encompassed broadcasting, the conservation movement and oral history interviews for the National Library of Australia. In 1994, Edgeworth was ACT Citizen of the Year and, in 2005, she received a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to the arts.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 7959, MS Acc99.237, MS Acc00.010, MS Acc01.024.
- Associated materials: Records of the Canberra Repertory Society, 1936-1971 MS 7582.
- Associated materials: Papers of Anne Edgeworth, 1936-2007 MS 10418.
- Related Material:
- Interview with Anne Edgeworth, author, environmentalist, producer; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 3054.
- Anne Edgeworth collection; Located at; ACT Heritage Library HMSS 0063.
- In part, photocopies. [S.l.].
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Copying of Anne Edgeworth's copyright material permitted for recent purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.