Edna Ryan interviewed by Lucy Taksa in the NSW Bicentennial oral history collection [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Ryan, Edna, 1904-1997, interviewee
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 1987 Oct. 19
- 2 sound cassettes (ca. 90 min.) : 1 7/8 ips.
- NSW Bicentennial oral history collection.
Born in Pyrmont, Sydney, Ryan speaks of her early life; going to school; clerical employment; studying at business college; different homes in Sydney; strikes; family life; memories of and attitudes during WWI; memories of the 1917 general strike; the working classes; International Workers of the World (IWW); politics of 1910-1930; her political interests; street corner meetings; family reading material; memories of the Domain; life as a Socialist, meeting places and haunts; favourite speakers; socialists being framed for crimes; socialist/working class communication; social conditions, her own research of the period; the War Precautions Act; socialism and the Labor Party; her interest in, and reading of Lenin and Russia; Justice Beeby and working class leaders.
- Includes index.
- Recorded by the NSW Bicentennial Oral History Project, funded by a bicentennial grant to the NSW Council on the Ageing and the Oral History Association of Australia (NSW).
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-216317169
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary and transcript available : 2 v. (33 p., 9 p.).
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2057 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- NSW Bicentennial oral history collection [sound recording]
- Millie Weston interviewed by Judy Wing in the NSW Bicentennial oral history collection [sound recording]
- Hilda King interviewed by Josie Castle in the NSW Bicentennial oral history collection [sound recording]
- NSW bicentennial oral history project / [report prepared by Catherine Johnson and Judy Wing]
- NSW Bicentennial Oral History Collection index and information manual / [NSW Bicentennial Oral History Project]