Records held by the Linnean Society of London (as filmed by the AJCP) [microform] : [M596-M597], 1790-1870
- Bib ID:
- Manuscript and Microform
- Linnean Society of London
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference.
- Canberra : Australian Joint Copying Project, [19--]
- 2 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
1) Linnean Society letters received, 1806-1860. 2) Macleay correspondence and miscellaneous papers 1805-59, chiefly with Sir George Macleay and his father Alexander Macleay. Concerns the social conditions and residents of New South Wales as well as botanical studies. 3) Correspondence of William Swainson, 1816-1840. 4) Miscellaneous manuscripts relating to Australian botany and birds. 5) Society for Promoting Natural History records, 1790-1795.
Formed in 1788. In 1822 took over records and collections of the Society for Promoting Natural History. Main objective was cultivation and study of the science of natural history. In 1874 a Linnean Society of New South Wales was established under its first president Sir William Macleay (1820-91). Notable Fellows who had lived or worked in Australia included Alexander Macleay (1767-1848), his son Sir George Macleay (1809-91) and William Swainson (1789-1855).
- Filmed as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project by the National Library of Australia and the State Library of New South Wales.
- National Library of Australia holds microfilm master.
- Australian Joint Copying Project miscellaneous series M5996-597.
- Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-836324575
- Microfilm copy of originals held by the Linnean Society of London.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; A1175
- Australian Joint Copying Project handbook. Part 8 : Miscellaneous [M series], Entry 97, p. 50.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list available (9 p.).
- Detailed description in Mander-Jones, p. 155-160.
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
This belongs to the Miscellaneous Series (Australian Joint Copying Project)..
This collection contains 521 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Cannot determine publication date because this record has an open range of dates
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.