Athol Willoughby interviewed by Michelle Potter [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Willoughby, Athol, 1932-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research and personal copies; written permission required for public use.
- 6 sound files (ca. 369 min.)
Athol Willoughby talks about his family history; his schooling and education; the effects of the Great Depression on his family; his childhood in Tasmania; seeing the Borovansky Ballet in Hobart; his ballet classes with Beattie Jordan; his early ballet performances; the National Theatre Ballet School in Melbourne; his role models and artistic influences; his brother; Cecchetti training; his career as a professional ballet dancer; National Theatre Ballet; Walter Gore's productions; other notable ballet dancers; the art of partnering in ballet; touring in regional Victoria and South Australia; his roles and performances in Australia and overseas; Cecchetti examinations; Royal Academy of Dance and the Cecchetti Society; the beginnings of his teaching career; Valrene Tweedie; memorable performances that influenced him; ballet classes; Royal Ballet School, London; purchasing his own ballet school at Essendon; Cecchetti system of training; ballet school performances; his resignation as a Cecchetti examiner; ballet scholarships; his recollections about his performances.
- Recorded on 11-12 February 2013 in Melbourne, Vic.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary (8 p.) and corrected transcript (typescript, 121 leaves).
- Other authors/contributors:
- Potter, Michelle, 1944-, interviewer
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2083 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Ross Stretton interviewed by Michelle Potter [sound recording]
- Greg Horsman interviewed by Michelle Potter
- Stanton Welch interviewed by Michelle Potter [sound recording]
- Colin Peasley interviewed by Bill Stephens [sound recording]
- Harry Haythorne interviewed by Michelle Potter for the Keep dancing oral history project [sound recording]