Journal of Joseph Pettingell, 1834
- Bib ID:
- Pettingell, Joseph, 1799-1859
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item. MS 10126 copy
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 0.03 m (1 packet)
MS 10126 comprises an 87 page journal hand written and illustrated by Joseph Pettingell as he sailed with his family on the 'Thomas Laurie' which left London on 17 March 1834 and arrived in Hobart on 4 September 1834. Pettingell travelled under his wife's maiden name of Linden. The journal mentions other passengers by name and describes the weather conditions, the activities of the crew and shipboard meals, life in Hobart Town and contains 25 illustrations including 18 watercolours and several line drawings (1 packet).
Joseph Pettingell was born in Barkway, Hertfordshire, on 3 July 1799 and died at Camperdown, New South Wales, on 13 January 1859.
- Manuscript reference number: MS 10126.
- Associated materials: A typed transcript of Joseph Pettingell's journal is held at MS 9399.
- MS 10126 copy Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-234988854
- Time Coverage:
- Copying permitted for research purposes.
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Since 1929 [Creator Date of Death + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Diary of Joseph Pettingell, 1834 [manuscript]
- [Biographical cuttings on William Pettingell, Sir, industrialist, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals]
- Le journal d'un missionnaire / Marion Bresillac
- Rong Qing ri ji / Xie Xingyao zheng li dian jiao zhu shi
- The journal of William Tully, medical student at Dartmouth, 1808-1809 / Oliver S. Hayward, Elizabeth H. Thomson, editors ; foreword by John F. Fulton