Imagining Europe : myth, memory, and identity / Chiara Bottici, Benoît Challand
- Bib ID:
- Bottici, Chiara
- New York : Cambridge University Press, 2013
- xiv, 205 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
"In Imagining Europe, Chiara Bottici and Benoît Challand explore the formation of modern European identity. Europe has not always been there, although we have been imagining it for quite some time. Even after the birth of a polity called the European Union, the meaning of Europe remained a very much contested topic. What is Europe? What are its boundaries? Is there a specific European identity or is the EU just the name for a group of institutions? This book answers these questions, showing that in Europe's formation, myth and memory, although distinct, are often merged in a common attempt to construct an identity for its present and its future. In a time when Europe is facing an existential crisis, when its meaning is being questioned, Imagining Europe explores a vital and often unacknowledged aspect of the European project"--
"In this book, Chiara Bottici and Benoît Challand explore the formative process of a European identity situated between myth and memory"--
- Full contents:
- Machine generated contents note: Introduction; Part I. Memory and Identity: 1. Europe, identity, and legitimacy; 2. European identity and the politics of remembrance; 3. East and West: divided memories in a united Europe; 4. Myths of Europe; 5. Europe's significant others: the Cold War and beyond; 6. From sickle to crescent: religion and European identity; Conclusion.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Challand, Benoît, 1972-
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Traite des fonds de commerce, ou, Jeu d'actions [microform] : precede d'un extrait critique du bilan de l'Angleterre, pour servir d'introduction, & suivi de plusieurs traites relatifs aux autres objets politiques
- Europe as an idea and an identity / Heikki Mikkeli
- Traité des fonds de commerce, ou, Jeu d'actions [electronic resource] : précédé d'un extrait critique du bilan de l'Angleterre, pour servir d'introduction, & suivi de plusieurs traités relatifs aux autres objets politiques
- Youth and the crisis : unemployment, education and health in Europe / edited by Gianluigi Coppola and Niall O'Higgins
- La tentazione dell'oblio : razzismo, antisemitismo e neonazismo / Franco Ferrarotti