Not at a cinema near you : Australian's film distribution problem / Lauren Carroll Harris
- Bib ID:
- Harris, Lauren Carroll, author
- Strawberry Hills, NSW : Currency House, August 2013
- 89 pages : chart ; 21 cm.
- Platform papers ; no. 37. 1449-583X
Does Australia really need to improve the quality and storytelling approach of its films? Or is it more important to change its film distribution? Film is in flux. The old ways have been undermined and new ways are not yet fully defined. Audience behaviour is changing. The author asserts that the Australian film industry is clinging to an archaic approach to distribution. For too long, policymakers have conflated the film industry with the production sector and chronically ignored marketing, distribution and exhibition as key factors that engage audiences and create demand for local films. This Platform Paper engages with those filmmakers working with peer-to-peer, crowdfunded, low-cost and direct-to-viewer delivery and asks: what can digital distribution do for Australian film? The answers are surprising and controversial.
- "Plus readers' responses to Re-evaluing the Artist"--Cover.
- Includes bibliographic references.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Shooting through : Australian film and the brain drain / Storry Walton
- The changing landscape of Australian documentary / Tom Zubrycki
- Film in the age of digital distribution : the challenge for Australian content / Richard Harris
- Trapped by the past : why our theatre is facing paralysis / Julian Meyrick
- Heraclitus : or, the future of films / by Ernest Betts