Women in modern Burma / Tharaphi Than
- Bib ID:
- Than, Tharaphi, author
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2014
- xvi, 177 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- 9780415687577 (hardback)
- Invalid ISBN:
- 9781315883908 (ebook)
- Routledge studies in the modern history of Asia (2005) ; 88.
"Presents a comprehensive overview of the role of women in Burmese society from independence in 1948 to the present. It covers women in politics, women writers, working women, marginalised women such as prostitutes, and women's role in the 1940s as freedom fighters and since 1988 as campaigners for political reform. It shows how, although Burmese women project to the outside world an image of being strong, as exemplified by Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of the opposition, women do not in fact enjoy gender equality"--
- Full contents:
- Print media and women journalists, editors, and writers
- Women's education
- The creation of the Burma Women's Army
- Disbanding the army and communist women
- Women and modernity
- Marginalized women in the making of the "Burman" nation.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Burma--more women's voices / edited by the Thanakha team
- Burma : voices of women in the struggle = [Tuik pvai vari (R)a myui sa mai myaa (R)a saom] / [edited by the Thanakha team]
- Sathānakān dān sitthi manutsayachon khō̜ng phuying nai Phamā : rāingān phisēt / Khrư̄akhāi Klum ʻĀsīan Thānglư̄ak thī Thamngān dān Phamā ; čhatplǣ dōi Khana Kammakān Ronnarong phư̄a Prachāthipatai nai Phammā
- Thūʺchanʻʺ thvelā praññ Mranʻmā mha / Muiʺ Myaṅʻʹ Moṅʻ
- A Burmese enchantment / by C.M. Enriquez (Theophilus)