My ancestor was in an asylum : brief guide to asylum records in Australia and New Zealand / Shauna Hicks
- Bib ID:
- Hicks, Shauna, author
- St Agnes, SA : Unlock the Past, 2014
- 56 pages : illustrations (some colour) ; 21 cm.
- 9781921956348 (paperback)
- Unlock the past.
If you have lost an ancestor, or simply misplaced them for a few years, then asylum records may be worth investigating. This brief guide provides an introduction to resources available and how to use these resources effectively.
- Full contents:
- Archival resources
- Other resources
- Overview of resources
- New South Wales (NSW)
- Victoria (VIC)
- Tasmania (TAS)
- South Australia (SA)
- Western Australia (WA)
- Northern Territory (NT)
- Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
- New Zealand
- Select bibliography
- "The potential value of asylum records for family history research is often underestimated ... people could be placed in an institution for a wide variety of reasons and for maybe only a few days. Asylums were not just for people with mental illnesses, they often were refuges for the old and the destitute. Those people with no one else to care for them or unable to care for themselves often found themselves in institutional care"--Introduction.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 53) and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Where do I start? : researching your family in Australia and New Zealand / Shauna Hicks
- Your family's history : research, write and publish it / John MacGibbon
- How to trace your military ancestors in Australia and New Zealand / R.H. Montague
- Papers Past : New Zealand's yesteryear newspapers : a guide to help with your genealogy and family history / Coral Shearer
- How to trace your Italian ancestors : a guide for Australians and New Zealanders / Bette Leone